What exactly is brand awareness, how do you cultivate it, and why is it important?
Simply put, brand awareness is a measure of how memorable and recognizable your brand is to your target audience and consumers under different conditions. For example, when you think of a coffee, who comes to mind? Starbucks, Tim Hortons, Folgers, etc. The more recognizable your brand becomes, the greater potential you have to continue to retain existing customers and attract new ones. Ultimately strong brands with high brand awareness are memorable, have a personality and voice, and resonate with their target audience.
Here are five ways you can start to cultivate brand awareness:
1. Ensure cohesive brand image & messaging- Having a cohesive brand is all about how you show up and the impression your brand leaves on the people you engage with. By representing your company in a consistent way through all touchpoints (social media, website, in-person, etc.), you can ensure people understand who you are, what you stand for, and what you have to offer.
2. Effective content marketing- By increasing the quality and amount of content you are creating on social media platforms, you can significantly expand the reach and awareness of your brand. The key is to create content that your audience enjoys and wants to share!
3. Advertising- Advertising is an accelerator that pushes a brand front and center. It is an opportunity to educate your audience about your company's product or service and increase your brand's visibility. When done effectively, advertisements can also clearly communicate your brand personality and build trust between you and your consumers.
4. Host or sponsor events- Events allow your company to be seen by a large number of potential consumers who may not be part of your usual audience. Just make sure you choose an event and organization that aligns with both your values and goals.
5. Implement a referral/loyalty program- These programs encourage your customers to shop with you regularly and tell their friends and family about their great experience with your products/services. Referral and loyalty programs are a great way to spread awareness about your brand while rewarding your existing customer base.
While it does take time, cultivating brand awareness is crucial for building and maintaining strong relationships with your customers, creating customer loyalty, and putting your brand top of mind. Don't you want to be the first brand that comes to mind when people think about your industry?